Search This Blog

Tuesday, 17 April 2012

Love, oh how I wait for thee...

Love...
Liefde...
Pyaar...
Ishq...
Amor...
Upendo...
Gra'...
The look in you eyes
The inexplicable sensation that sends shivers down your spine
Engulfs your heart in flames
Makes you weak at the knees
And giddy in your mind...
Aah yes, what a pleasure indeed...

Where does love originate from? Before, I even post the extension to that question, let me entertain you with the responses of a couple of people (2 literally, i kid you not):

Person 1: "A combination of chemicals in the brain, a little bit of lustful desire (or a lot for some) and blinded passion."
Person 2: "the inate desire for happiness which lets us see the promise of it in things we consider beautiful."

Funny enough, these were the answers without adding the following options as it was presented to me: "A feeling in the heart or chemical processes in the brain?"

Interesting the answers you get hey...

Now the first question, like that of the chicken (no, not if it can fly...oh, the irony of how that is actually linked here), but rather which came first, the chicken or the egg...so, is it the chemical reaction that causes the sensation in the heart or the heart that causes the brain to recognise the love...

This decision is actually a lot more difficult than I initially thought. I'm no Marie Curie (a scientist...and a woman...although people say I scream like a girl) so I'm not well-versed in the chemistry of he brain...but I have felt love and I can recognise it when I feel it...

Now, I am someone who I wouldn't say has found love, for I believe love is mutual, but rather identified an individual with whom I want to share the experience with. In a nutshell, when I first met said individual (see the question about chickens being able to fly above...yes, we met arguing about that) I couldn't really care for much about her. It was simply a time to "kick-ass" in an argument and move one. But, like life always does, "everything happens for a reason" as I like to quote and such, a series of events rendered me in a position where I got closer to her. We became friends and remained adamant about that to everyone who questioned otherwise. Until tragedy struck. not for wither of us, but for someone else. It took that to make me realise that she is the one. Now, here I had my mind telling me no, but my heart screaming to never let her go...it is still another discussion about the outcome of that, and indeed it is a long discussion.

So, where did it start. In my mind or in my heart...was it me recognising something beautiful and the willingness to continue that inate desire for happiness with someone who had brought it to me in such an abundant manner. Or was it chemicals in my body, craving that passion, with an inch of lust and an infatuation all around.

Maybe a bit of both...

I'd like to think of myself as a rational individual. So, I expanded this to my supposed "love" life in that I always told myself that I will never get myself involved with anyone unless I was 100% certain. That is a reflection of the mind. Then again, we tend to mould our mind to satisfy the craving of our hearts. That is a reflection of the heart. It is indeed never just one or the other, but an amalgamation of the two. A recognition that for the mind to work effectively for love it is directed by the heart, but for the heart to not reign uncontrollably it must be maintained by the mind.

Ultimately, love is a drug, a lesson learnt. It is something we all cannot live without and we wish to experience it in any shape or form. It is a drug simply because when we are stripped from the source of that love, we experience symptoms that no rehab can cure. Love is a lesson and teaches you far more than simply caring for another. It is a blinding light not apparent to everyone but found simply between two. We can debate for eternity how love comes about, but what matters more is what we do with it, how we experience it and how we learn from it. Love will only work if you use it effectively. Then you dictate where it comes from.



"Oh, we're scared to see the ending
Why are we pretending this is nothing?
I'd tell you I miss you but I don't know how
I've never heard silence quite this loud"- Taylor Swift

In order to conquer, we must first survive...the same goes for love.

2 comments:

  1. There's something about this blog that struck my heart, i think it was its arrow of Truth. The fact that we "mould our minds to satisfy the craving of our hearts" applies to more than just courtship and love, or whatever we choose to name it.

    Man is driven by desire - first, and only afterwards he is able to act according to the logic and reasoning of his mind. In the beginning, he is a fool: fooling himself best by searching for the legit parts (however small)of a doubtful matter to justify the decisions he makes with his heart. He then deceives himself with the belief that his decision is a product of his mind. What i am getting at is this: Love is essentially a thing which emanates from the heart. And as one matures, the heart learns to love together with the mind - as it begins to love those things which our minds taught it to perceive as alternate forms of beauty, but beauty nonetheless.

    The mind and heart cannot love independently, however: the heart drives the mind to make judgements based on passion that is disguised as Reason. By contrast, the mind bears an acquired prejudice and bias through which the heart ultimately perceives and loves, and is subsequently influenced to no end.

    Ah, LOVE! :)

    If i don't stop writing here i might never stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aah but please do not stop writing, for then I will have to start and that is not a pleasant thought I can imagine...and by the way, i still wait for you to let me know about our literary rendezvous, rather more impatiently with each passing day, in a good way of course:)

    Love, yes does come from the heart and it does drive the mind to be prejudice and justify our actions. But think about it, how much of that prejudice really is bad. I don't think it's mainly an issue when we look favourably upon someone we love, but more when we have to tear our heart apart between those many that we love- that is where the danger lies.

    But love itself should never be scorned. It is one of the foundations of the religion set forth for us. It is the reason our Nabi (S.A.W.) cried every day for us, when he couldn't bear the feeling that some of us will end up in the fire. How can we shun something held and taught so ferverently by the greatest ever. Love is never a bad thing, it is why we strive to attain a high level of Imaan. For an Imaan built purely out of love for the Almighty and His Rasool (S.A.W.) is an Imaan most pure.

    I'll leave the rest for next time:)

    ReplyDelete