You know that life has thrown you a bit of a curve ball when you're sitting at home on a Saturday night, thinking of one thing, with nothing else to do, half asleep with drool all over the keyboard. No, I don't have the hottest woman on the planet displayed all over the screen (she's plastered all over my mind), but I simply feel worn, brain-dead and disillusioned almost. Not so much with life but rather the island of it. No matter how hard we swim we always sit in this position, on our own, with a whirlpool of ideas, a constant thought and nothing to do about it.
But I digress...
Life really is like a stubbed big right toe. Imperfect, pain-inducing, perhaps broken even from a harmless soccer game. Yet, we must realise that it just happens, through no fault of your own. All you have to do is pick yourself up and get back to playing the game.
Roger Federer...
Tiger Woods...
The South African Cricket team...(ok, no wait, this last one was not typed my hands. Definitely typed by something more deserving- my stinky toes)
All that can arguably be considered to be the greatest ever in their sports. Yet, before our very eyes, their human fallibility has been exposed showing the world that they are sheer mortals just like you and I, far removed from the great unbeatable, perfect heights that they so royally commanded. All through no fault of their own.
You could argue that Tiger brought about his own downfall through his insatiable urge to be a valuable instrument to a bicycle wheel- pomp. But I'm talking about his golf, not his affinity for gardening tools (hoes).
Yo would expect that not to affect his game. Just like Federer who seems to be happily married and has no such "arguments" in his case. Basically, life happened. They fell from the great heights they commanded and now actually feel what it is like to be you and the person sitting next to me (I'm a different story altogether). They have felt what each and every one of us have to go through in life everyday.
A simple reminder that no matter how great you call yourself or how perfect a record you may have, you are an equal amongst fools. That greatness is bestowed upon one alone and in Him do we trust. That He can cause us to stub our big toe, simply because He can and not because you deserved it. It is as I have mentioned, simply a test and a reminder. That we are indeed human, that we all make mistakes. A test in that it is not what happens that matters, that is beyond our control. What matters is the fact that we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves of and never lose sight and focus of the path that has been laid out for us.
Stubbing your toe may take you longer to walk the path, it may make you take a path that you never wanted to take. Remember, that path was never your choice to begin with. We are always led into a position in life that is best for us. What we want is not necessarily what is best for us.
So, the next time you stub your toe remember, everyone stubs their toe in one way or another. The key is that you walk it off, even if it takes longer. There is a reason you have to walk a bit slow for this part of the journey. We cannot run through everything. Walk it off, embrace the pain and still smile at the wall (world). Once you lose that ability to realise that sometimes life just happens, you lose the meaning of why we are human being, of why we have this constant stubbing of our toe, to remind us that quite frankly, life will always have some form of pain. Cry about it, it is the natural thing to do, but hate no one for that. We are all one and the same and we all are designed to make mistakes. Enjoy the ride, the view and the extra love and maybe a little pampering that you will get along the way.
"I remember every look upon your face
The way you roll your eyes
The way you taste
You make it hard for breathing
'Cause when I close my eyes and drift away
I think of you and everything's okay
I'm finally now believing"- Boys Like Girls ft Taylor Swift
The way you taste
You make it hard for breathing
'Cause when I close my eyes and drift away
I think of you and everything's okay
I'm finally now believing"- Boys Like Girls ft Taylor Swift

In retrospect, I consider my first toe-stub as a child to have been a big moment. I may not remember it, but i do remember the pain that came with each one, and the angry and regretful manner of my thoughts afterwards ("WHY did i not watch where and how i was walking?"), wishing the pain away and longing for the immediacy of a pain-free toe.
ReplyDeleteIt's just the beginning of those many toe-stubbing moments in our lives. We begin to learn where, when and how to tread with which foot as we grow up, across the jagged rocks of a beach on a windy day, to the sensitive and tense spaces we find ourselves in during conversations with the people we know (or don't know, or wish we didn't know at all...).
Without the stub, we might run through life without being forced to halt at the gift stores of our mistakenly common surroundings. Or we will lack a warning and teaching experience that may be significant and useful to us as we venture across familiar pathways at a later stage.
There is good in the bad - so masked until we are mature enough to perceive its beneficial nature.